My big ‘ol sigh of relief…

First of all I want to thank you all for your well wishes. Dealing with all of this IVF stuff can be so stressful and it really lifts the spirits knowing you have support.

OK, on to the good stuff. My retrieval was yesterday and to say I’m terrified is like saying the snow is kind of cold. Total understatement. I hate not being able to eat or drink after midnight and by the time I got to the clinic my mouth was completely dry. I started crying the minute I stepped into the sign in room (which was also the recovery room) and kept crying off an on the whole time. I think all the nurses felt bad for me because they kept coming over and being all sympathetic, which was nice but made me cry more. I had to change into the jazzy hospital gown and socks and then I really looked awful. Eyes swollen, no makeup, my hair a mess and a hospital gown that hung off me like I was wearing a tent…I looked like I escaped from an asylum. Lovely. I’ll bet hubby won’t get that picture out of his head for a while! They give me a valium and I suck down the 1/2 inch of water I got with it like I have been lost in the desert for a week. Then comes the IV. I warned the nurses (like I have a million times before) that my veins are hard to get and there is really only one that is good (no thanks to the lab tech that botched my only other good vein) and they said “we do this all day, there will be no problem”. Ha. I’ve heard that before. So the nurse goes for my arm vein and the other nurse wants me to hold her hand. I told her I really should hold my hubby hand because I’ll probably break hers. She thought I was kidding but quickly realized how lucky she was to have 2 working hands. I squeezed hubbys hand so hard I think I left permanent marks. I could feel the nurse trying to force the IV catheter in in two different places in my arm and then she decided to give up and call the anesthesiologist. Hubby looked at me and asked if he was pale. Pale? He looked like the sheet I was wrapped in. Apparently he looked as she was trying to force the IV in and thought it looked like an alien was in my arm. Now he’s on the verge of passing out and all the nurses are buzzing around him to prevent him from keeling over. Thanks for stealing my thunder, honey. Actually, we were both laughing about it as he was sipping on his ginger ale with an ice pack on his head. The anesthesiologist gets the IV in my hand after two more trys and they start the antibiotic. I made sure I would get anti-nausea meds too and apparently he gave me two different kinds. They worked like a charm, by the way. The doctor doing the retrieval comes over to introduce herself and asks if it’s ok if a student nurse watches. I’m crying again at this point and the student nurse peeks out from behind the doctor, and looked completely terrified. I have that effect on student nurses and intern doctors. Apparently me crying gets them all nervous and panicky. Actually, it’s kind of fun. I don’t do it on purpose but it’s a funny little side effect to my blubbering. Now I’m in the OR (first time in one and I was scared) and there are about 6 or 7 people buzzing around. The anesthesiologist tells me to take a deep breath and I’m starting at the ceiling with my eyes wide open thinking that the medicine isn’t working because I’m not sleepy. Then my arm starts to hurt as the meds go in and my head and face get all fuzzy. Next thing I know I’m waking up with hubby next to me and that was it! I don’t like the groggy feeling after the anesthesia but I really felt OK. After a while they made me use the bathroom and we were on our way. Not the most fun I’ve had, but much easier than I expected.

They retrieved 5 eggs but only 4 were mature. As of today, all 4 fertilized which is great. The clinic usually looks for a 50% fert. rate and ours was 100%. Of course, I’m freaked out that there are only 4 eggs to work with but I’m praying that they keep growing and turn into 4 healthy embies. I go in for my transfer on Saturday and then it’s bed rest time. Hubby has been wonderful. He’s so attentive and I’m really lucky to have him. Even if he is force feeding me protein and Gatorade. I’m not bloated today and I feel pretty good, although I was really sick to my stomach this morning but I think that was from all the sugar and salt in the gatorade from yesterday. I’m going to stick to smart water, instead. I don’t have to do the progesterone shots, but I do have to do the suppositories 3X a day. Fun. Hey, I’m not complaining! I would not relish having bruises on my bum for the next 10 weeks (hopefully).

Now I just have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get the report on my embies. Keep on growing!


8 Responses so far »

  1. 1

    JV said,

    Hi, I’m new to your blog….as of two days ago and I’ve been waiting to see your post about the retrieval, you made it…..and it’s a relief to hear it was easier than you expected! I’m fairly new to this world….trying for three years now, and have appointment with latest RE next week to determine when I start IVF. I am so grateful to have found your blog, it has been an extraordinary lifeline these last few days. Thank you for your honesty and openness. I hope your transfer goes as smoothly this weekend, I’ll be anxious to see your posts next week. Take care of yourself.

    Looks like your in the Boston area….I’m on the North Shore…

  2. 2

    Jo said,

    Yay! All is good so far. . .I’ll keep praying your transfer is also a success.

  3. 3

    Pepper said,

    That’s an excellent fert rate! Hang in there. You’re doing great. 🙂

  4. 4

    Amber said,

    We only had 4 eggs fertilize, too, and were able to transfer 2. I understand being nervous about that (I was, too, when I heard they only retrieved 6). Still in the 2ww so we’ll see if it worked!

  5. 5

    Sarah said,

    Good luck and grow little four, grow!!!

  6. 6

    myrtlesnotsofertile said,

    JV, when this all started, I would pour over everyone’s blogs because it helped me know what to expect and also not to feel so alone going through IVF. I felt part of a community that is so supportive (even though none of us wants to be here!) and it helped me so much. I’m glad I could help you!
    Amber, 4 really got me nervous but I just had to believe it would work out. Good luck in your 2WW.
    Jo, Sarah and Pepper, thank you for your ongoing support! It means so much!

  7. 8

    WhatIF said,

    Congrats with the 100% fert rate. I understand what you mean by having only 4 to work with. I had my transfer yesterday, and although we had 7, which I thought was a wonderful number, none of my embies are of good quality. We transferred 3. I hope your transfer goes great.

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: